[Dovecot] Using dovecot with vpopmail and mysql auth?

Aaron Greengrass aaron at greenbtn.com
Wed Aug 18 03:27:21 EEST 2010

  On 8/17/2010 8:39 AM, Aaron Greengrass wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> Does anyone happen to know the right strings to do authentication
> against mysql storing vpopmail data, vs using the vpopmail auth module?
>
> I'm trying to get up to both vpopmail 5.5, and dovecot 2.0, and
> dovecot-auth seems to reliably segfault on the 5.5 vpopmail module.
> I've tried downgrading vpopmail as well, with less than stellar results.
>
> I saw an old article about doing exactly that -- switching from the
> vpop module, while still using it's DB, but it is both a) old, and b)
> confusing.
>
> Any help you can offer -- or urls in a pinch -- would be appreciated.
Addendum

I'm using one domain per table.  This means I need to probably translate
%d into blah_blah instead of blah.blah.  An earlier list conversation
mentioned this as a possible sql injection point -- I definitely don't
want to open up a security hole!

I saw the patch to use vpopmail 5.4.30 with dovecot 2.x, I can do that,
but ideally I'd like to a) get up to vpopmail 5.5, b) stop using the
vpopmail driver and switch to the mysql one, and c) upgrade to dovecot v2.

Suggestions?  Thanks for your help.

Aaron.