[Dovecot] Mobile phone client - first access

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Fri Aug 20 22:43:22 EEST 2010

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> You could create e.g. "ron-mobile" named account and then in
> /home/ron-mobile/Maildir/ (or whatever) create symlinks to
> /home/ron/Maildir/ so that only INBOX is visible to ron-mobile.

Oh, that is neat.   In fact I could do a link to both the 'work'
inbox, and a link to the 'home' inbox, so that I can check both work
and home email through my ordinary mobile phone while offsite.  Brilliant.

As I understand it, symlinking the ron-mobile Maildir to the ron
Maildir will *only* fetch the *messages* in the ron Maildir (actually,
it's the work INBOX I'll be using, which has a lot of sub Maildirs),
and Dovecot won't list all the subordinate Maildirs (eg .Project1,
.Project2, etc) that are in the top Maildir directory?

I'll read up on symlinks, now, because I've never created one.
Apologies if the question above is trivial and the answer would have
been clear if I had already read up on them.

regards, Ron