[Dovecot] Mobile phone client - first access

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Aug 21 00:20:16 EEST 2010

On 20.8.2010, at 20.43, Ron Leach wrote:

> As I understand it, symlinking the ron-mobile Maildir to the ron
> Maildir will *only* fetch the *messages* in the ron Maildir (actually, it's the work INBOX I'll be using, which has a lot of sub Maildirs), and Dovecot won't list all the subordinate Maildirs (eg .Project1, .Project2, etc) that are in the top Maildir directory?

Depends on how you symlink it. For example:

cd /home/ron-mobile
ln -s /home/ron/Maildir .

Now /home/ron/ and /home/ron-mobile/ are identical, so everything will be again fetched. But then you could also do:

cd /home/ron-mobile/Maildir
ln -s /home/ron/Maildir .ron-inbox

Now you have a folder called "ron-inbox" that contains the INBOX messages. And finally if you want to preserve the INBOX as INBOX without changing the name:

cd /home/ron-mobile/Maildir
ln -s /home/ron/Maildir/cur .
ln -s /home/ron/Maildir/new .
ln -s /home/ron/Maildir/tmp .