[Dovecot] dovecot - mac firewall problem

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sun Aug 29 18:41:13 EEST 2010

Jerry put forth on 8/29/2010 5:22 AM:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:22:41 -0500
> Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com> articulated:
>
>> Patrick Fay put forth on 8/28/2010 7:57 PM:

>>>     Sorry for the confusion--no laptop involved.  Postfix, dovecot,
>>> etc, all running on intel-based desktop mac (a mac pro).
>>
>> Same difference.  You're running a full blown MTA and an IMAP server
>> on a "client" machine.  Why?  Is this a production level setup?  Or
>> do you have these server daemons installed merely for testing
>> purposes before putting a dedicated server box into production?
>>
>> Running a production setup of an MTA and IMAP server on one's
>> workstation, with an MX record etc pointed at the box, is very,
>> very... odd, rare.
>>

> Maybe I missed it; however, I did not see where the OP asked for a
> general assessment of his work station/network, but rather assistance
> with a problem he was experiencing. Unless his environment precludes
> him from operating his system the way he desires, the resulting babel
> regarding his machines are outside the scope of his posting.

Apparently you did miss something.  The reason the platform question
came up is because the Mac OSX application firewall was causing him
problems.  My research showed that Apple recommends this software be
enabled _only_ for workstation applications (GUI, interactive), not for
server daemons.

Thus, the OP is running a system "out of the norm" according to Apple,
which in English is equivalent to "odd" and "rare".

You mistook my post for being animus, which it was not.

--
Stan