[Dovecot] thunderbird crashed-mail_max_userip

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri Dec 3 08:33:01 EET 2010

Paul Cartwright put forth on 12/2/2010 12:11 PM:

From: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

  # Maximum number of IMAP connections allowed for a user from each IP
address.
  # NOTE: The username is compared case-sensitively.
  #mail_max_userip_connections = 10

By default Thunderbird opens 5 IMAP connections per client instance.
When running TBird on the same machine that runs Dovecot, and connecting
via localhost, I'm not sure what TBird may do in this case.  It may
ignore it's default setting of 5 and open as many connections as it wants.

In your case, you can probably safely set this to 100 (and restart
Dovecot) to prevent this problem in the future.

--
Stan