[Dovecot] How to get a working dovecot.conf?

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Tue Dec 21 19:43:09 EET 2010

oddball56 put forth on 12/21/2010 9:07 AM:

> Hi,
>
> I installed openSUSE 11.3 server version, and followed the guidelines from:
> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-opensuse-11.3-x86_64-ispconfig-3
> Everything works, accept loggin into dovecot.
> For many days i tried to get logged into dovecot, from localhost,
> from other pc in the lan, from squirrelmail, not possible.
> I read manuals on http://wiki.dovecot.org/ and tried to set the passwd db
> like:

<snip>

It would probably be really helpful if you posted your dovecot -n output.

Also, it sounds like you didn't even attempt plain text login at all.
You should probably make sure that works before attempting encrypted
login via SSL etc.

To try plain text login, reload your backup (original) dovecot.conf and
make sure you have:

protocols = imap
disable_plaintext_auth = no

--