[Dovecot] How to get a working dovecot.conf?

oddball56 monkey9 at iae.nl
Wed Dec 22 19:07:26 EET 2010

Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> oddball56 put forth on 12/21/2010 9:07 AM:
>>
>> Hi,
>>

> <snip>
>
> It would probably be really helpful if you posted your dovecot -n output.
>
> Also, it sounds like you didn't even attempt plain text login at all.
> You should probably make sure that works before attempting encrypted
> login via SSL etc.
>
> To try plain text login, reload your backup (original) dovecot.conf and
> make sure you have:
>
> protocols = imap
> disable_plaintext_auth = no
>
> --
> Stan

Well, ofcourse i tried to do that.
Maybe i do not know how to create a user....
(if you please: tell me how to create a new user with password that is able
to login first from localhost)

Anyway, here's the wanted output:

auth_mechanisms = plain login
disable_plaintext_auth = no
first_valid_gid = 5000
first_valid_uid = 5000
last_valid_gid = 5000
last_valid_uid = 5000
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot-sql.conf
  driver = sql
}
plugin {
  quota = maildir
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
protocols = imap pop3
ssl = no
doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot.conf:
Service #18 is missing name
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot-sql.conf
  driver = sql
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugin_dir = /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
  mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
  service {
    executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/rawlog /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
  }
}
protocol pop3 {
  mail_plugin_dir = /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
  mail_plugins = quota
  pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
  service {
    executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/rawlog /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
  }
}
protocol sieve {
  service {
    executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/managesieve
  }
}
protocol lda {
  auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
  hostname = AsusTT-sfn6
  mail_plugin_dir = /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda
  mail_plugins = sieve quota
  postmaster_adress = postmaster at asustt-sfn6.site
}

restarting dovecot:

Stopping dovecot
Starting dovecot doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf: mail_plugin_dir:
access(/usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap) failed: No such file or directory
doveconf: Error: managesieve-login: dump-capability process returned 89
								    failed

AsusTT-sfn6:telnet localhost 143
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
*OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 I18NLEVEL=1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS
STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED] localhost IMAP4rev1 2007e.404 at Wed, 22 Dec 2010
17:39:59 +0100(CET)
a login admin bokser
a NO Invalid login credentials
*BYE Autologout (idle for too long)