[Dovecot] Moving email between folders outside of IMAP context

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Wed Dec 22 00:09:12 EET 2010

On 21/12/10 22:58, Phil Howard wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 16:41, Tom Hendrikx <tom at whyscream.net> wrote:
>
>> Do not use an external script, but add a global sieve script that sorts
>> messages into some directory, based on your preferred header.
>
> How does that get executed.  I take it I can't do it via cron.  Does
> it run at deliver time for each mail message?  Is it doable in version
> 1.1.11 (that's what's in my version of Ubuntu)?  Do you know which
> Ubuntu 9.10 package to install (we're stuck on 9.10 until the new
> server arrives around February).

Sieve is a plugin of the dovecot delivery agent, and gets executed upon
delivery. It does exactly what you want to implement with "deliver -m"
in Postfix, which sounds cumbersome indeed. Read
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve/CMU for info.

I am not familiar with Ubuntu specifics, but iirc Stephan Bosch (creator
of sieve plugin) has a repo with debian builds of dovecot+sieve.

--
Regards,
	Tom