[Dovecot] Reverting from 2.0. to 1.2

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 22 22:44:28 EET 2010

On 22.12.2010, at 22.31, Thomas Hummel wrote:

> And you have namespace separator set to '/'?
>
> Yes (which is the default, isn't it ?)

No, default is '.' with maildir.

>> In such setup having '.' just isn't valid. All '.' characters in the directory name get converted to '/'.
>
> I know, that's why it makes no sense to me that TB complains about a ".".
>
> By the way, if talking imap directly (telnet), I wouldn't even be able to
> specify a dot in a mailbox name in command, right ? I guess that would be
> interpreted as a hierarchy separator. So this TB message is really strange.

No, you can give a dot in the mailbox name. That's exactly when you get this error message.

>> You could enable rawlog to see what the clients are trying to do. http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog
>
> Should I restart dovecot or just a SIGHUP ?

SIGHUP is enough (or "dovecot reload" is a prettier way nowadays).

> My other questions remains :
>
>  . can we revert from 2.0.8 to 1.2.12 (just in case) ?

Yes.

>  . is there, between 1.2.12 and 2.0.8 some noticeable behavior regarding mailbox name encoding ?

I'm not sure. v1.2 might have silently allowed this problem to happen and just treat '.' as hierarchy separator (or maybe not).

Do you have any shared/public namespaces?