[Dovecot] 2nd REPOST: mbox vs maildir

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Thu Feb 18 06:53:56 EET 2010

Ashley M. Kirchner put forth on 2/17/2010 9:46 AM:

Hi Ashley, sorry no one had tried to help you yet.  I'm not a dovecot expert,
just a user, but I'll try to help.

>    But when I'm in Thunderbird and I try to subscribe to anything that
> falls inside of ~/mail-Archives/ it won't work.  I can browser all the
> way down to the folder, but I can't see anything within that folder.

Not to be a jerk, but there is stuff in this folder, yes?  What version of
T-Bird, on what OS?

>    For example, consider the full path to the following 'Ashley-Dec09'
> mailbox:
>
>    ~mail-Archives/2009/Ashley/Ashley-Dec09

>    In Thunderbird, when I hit 'Subscribe' I can browse down to '2009'
> and I can see 'Ashley', but I can't drill down into it and subscribe to
> 'Ashley-Jan09'.

Do you have any other IMAP clients working in this scenario, such as Outlook,
Eudora, or webmail such as Roundcube or Squirrelmail?  Eliminate the client as
the source of the problem first, then troubleshoot dovecot.  You can't know if
it's a dovecot problem if you're only testing with one client.

Test a couple of others clients and see if they suffer this problem.  I use TB
3.0.1, but I'm all mbox format here, so I can't duplicate your issue.

Also, these folders already existed, correct?  T-Bird did not create them,
correct?  If you can, within TB, create another folder tree the same number of
layers deep, and see if you run into the same or similar problems.  Perform this
test with two other IMAP clients as well.

--
Stan