[Dovecot] 2nd REPOST: mbox vs maildir

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Wed Feb 17 17:46:32 EET 2010

    I'm going to assume this is just not possible, or that no one has an
answer, which would lead me back to uw-imap since it does work as-is.
So I'll post it again, hoping that there is a solution for this setup
and that folks have just been too busy to help think about it and/or
help come up with a possible solution.

-----

    Ignoring my previous message just for a second, I realized that my
config wasn't correct.  First the layout:

	~mail/
	~mail/Drafts
	~mail/Ashley-Feb09
	~mail/Others-Feb09

	~mail-Archives/
	~mail-Archives/2009/
	~mail-Archives/2009/Ashley/
	~mail-Archives/2009/Ashley/Ashley-Dec09
	~mail-Archives/2009/Ashley/Ashley-Nov09
	~mail-Archives/2009/Ashley/Ashley-Oct09

    So I (now) have this for namespaces:

namespace private {
    separator = /
    prefix = "mail/"
    location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
    inbox = yes
    hidden = no
    list = yes   # for v1.1+
}

namespace private {
    separator = /
    prefix = "mail-Archives/"
    location = maildir:~/mail-Archives:LAYOUT=fs
    inbox = no
    hidden = no
    list = yes
    subscriptions = yes
}

    But when I'm in Thunderbird and I try to subscribe to anything that
falls inside of ~/mail-Archives/ it won't work.  I can browser all the
way down to the folder, but I can't see anything within that folder.

    For example, consider the full path to the following 'Ashley-Dec09'
mailbox:

    ~mail-Archives/2009/Ashley/Ashley-Dec09

    In Thunderbird, when I hit 'Subscribe' I can browse down to '2009'
and I can see 'Ashley', but I can't drill down into it and subscribe to
'Ashley-Jan09'.

    What am I missing here?