[Dovecot] GlusterFs - Any new progress reports?

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 18 21:51:33 EET 2010

Quoting Steve <steeeeeveee at gmx.net>:

>> > My interest is more in bootstrapping a more highly available system
>> > from lower quality (commodity) components than very high end use
>>
>> GFS+DRBD should fit the bill...  You need several nics and cables,
>> but they are dirt cheap...  Just 2 machines with the same disk setup,
>> and a handful of nics and cables, and you are off and running...
>>
> Can you easy scale that GFS2+DRBD to have more then just 2 nodes? Is

Not really, no.  You can have those two nodes distribute it out via
gnbd though...  Red Hat claims it scales well, but I've not yet tested
it...

> Can all the
> nodes at the same time be active or is one node always the master
> and the other a hot spare that kicks in when the master is down?

The free version of DRBD only supports max 2 nodes.  They can be active-active
or active-passive.

The non-free version is supposed to support 3 nodes, but I've heard
conflicting
reports on what the 3rd node can do...  You'd have to investigate that
yourself...  I'm not interested in it, since I don't want to pay for it...
(Though I am willing to donate to the project)

My proposed solution to the more-than-two-nodes is gnbd...

If that doesn't meet your needs, then DRBD probably isn't the proper choice.
You didn't mention anything about number of nodes in your original post, IIRC.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!