[Dovecot] GlusterFs - Any new progress reports?

Steve steeeeeveee at gmx.net
Thu Feb 18 22:15:16 EET 2010

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:51:33 -0600
> Von: Eric Rostetter <rostetter at mail.utexas.edu>
> An: dovecot at dovecot.org
> Betreff: Re: [Dovecot] GlusterFs - Any new progress reports?

> >> GFS+DRBD should fit the bill...  You need several nics and cables,
> >> but they are dirt cheap...  Just 2 machines with the same disk setup,
> >> and a handful of nics and cables, and you are off and running...
> >>
> > Can you easy scale that GFS2+DRBD to have more then just 2 nodes? Is
>
> Not really, no.  You can have those two nodes distribute it out via
> gnbd though...  Red Hat claims it scales well, but I've not yet tested
> it...

I have already installed GFS on a cluster in the past, but never on DRBD.

> > Can all the
> > nodes at the same time be active or is one node always the master
> > and the other a hot spare that kicks in when the master is down?
>
> The free version of DRBD only supports max 2 nodes.  They can be
> active-active
> or active-passive.
>
> The non-free version is supposed to support 3 nodes, but I've heard
> conflicting
> reports on what the 3rd node can do...  You'd have to investigate that
> yourself...  I'm not interested in it, since I don't want to pay for it...
> (Though I am willing to donate to the project)

Hmm... when I started with GlusterFS I thought that using more then two nodes is something that I will never need. But now that I have GlusterFS up and running and I am using more then two nodes I really see a benefit in being able to use more then two nodes. For me this is a big advantage of GlusterFS compared to DRBD.

> My proposed solution to the more-than-two-nodes is gnbd...

Never heard of it before. Don't like the fact that I need to patch the Kernel in order to get it working.

> If that doesn't meet your needs, then DRBD probably isn't the proper
> choice.
> You didn't mention anything about number of nodes in your original post,
> IIRC.

I did not post the original post. I just responded to the original post saying that GlusterFS works for me.

--
NEU: Mit GMX DSL über 1000,- ¿ sparen!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02