[Dovecot] OT: best linux imap client for dovecot

Lev Serebryakov lev at serebryakov.spb.ru
Mon Feb 22 10:04:23 EET 2010

Hello, Axel.
You wrote 18 февраля 2010 г., 18:45:21:

> This is not a my-email-client-is-better-than-your-email-client thread,
> I just want to know which client(s) make proper use of imap features
> for fast searches/copies/deletions etc.
 IMHO, all existing clients suck, but not only due to IMAP4 [mis]using, but
because  UI  is  terrible.  For  example, I don't lnow any client with
proper,  accurate  text-only  quoting  (with '> ' marks). Some clients
forget  to  spilt  long  lines, some don't add '> ' when I split quote
line  by  hands,  some  don't  remove '> ' automagically when lines in
quote  are  merged  (by  deleting  CR/NL on previous line), and things
become  even  mnore  horrible  whrn  here are many quotes of different
level. I'm not mention clients, which have top-quoting-only setting or
doesn't  have  templates for  editor  (no, a signature file IS NOT A
TEMPLATE!)

    Threading,  working  with  mailing  lists  (with  all these List-XXX
headers  which  are  standard  now), using diffferent "From" names and
e-mails   for  different  folders  (and,  yes,  different  templates),
differnet templates for different replies, good filters (Thunderbird's
filters  creation  UI is bad, IMHO), flexible but esy-to-setup-default
purging  rules,  etc,  etc,  etc  -- all these features are missing or
implemented  horribly wrong in most clients (I don't claim, that every
client has every feature from this list implemented wrong, but most of
clients has 1/2 or more of this list absent or unusable).

   There is one client which have not-so-bad-UI (I can not use EMACS
 GNU,  but I think everything COULD BE DONE in EMACS, so, may be
 THERE  ARE  TWO clients): Ritlab's "The Bat!". But it works with IMAP
 terribly  wrong,  works only on Windows, costs money, and is somwhere
 buggy :(

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at serebryakov.spb.ru>