[Dovecot] **OFF LIST** Re: body search very slow since upgrade from 1.0.15 to 1.2.10

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 24 20:27:50 EET 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 01:21 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Stan Hoeppner put forth on 2/24/2010 12:17 AM:
> > Timo Sirainen put forth on 2/23/2010 11:06 PM:
>
> >> No, body searches aren't indexed (without fts plugins).
>
> I wish you'd have mentioned the Squat plugin earlier Timo.  I feel I've made
> a fool of myself.  I just setup squat and after a long first search on that
> 50MB, 11K+ messages mbox file, every search after the first has taken less
> than 5 seconds, most only 2 seconds.  It's performing exactly as I'd like.
> It's amazing.

Well, when index is up-to-date it's fast. But after you've received a
few mails, at least with me it seemed to spend more time updating the
index than just doing the regular search.

> I didn't ever setup any fts plugins on 1.0.15.  I'm left wondering how body
> searches were so fast if I didn't have an fts plugin configured.

Looks like there's something very wrong with mbox with v1.2+. It's doing
a *lot* of message header parsing work that doesn't happen with v1.1 or
with other mailbox formats. Probably because I fixed some bugs where it
was wrongly caching some state, but now it's not caching it long enough.