[Dovecot] **OFF LIST** Re: body search very slow since upgrade from 1.0.15 to 1.2.10

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Thu Feb 25 05:06:02 EET 2010

Timo Sirainen put forth on 2/24/2010 12:27 PM:

> Well, when index is up-to-date it's fast. But after you've received a
> few mails, at least with me it seemed to spend more time updating the
> index than just doing the regular search.

Ahh, I see what you mean.  It's slower after new mail arrives, 20 seconds or
so, but it's still much much faster than without squat which was multiple
minutes.

> Looks like there's something very wrong with mbox with v1.2+. It's doing
> a *lot* of message header parsing work that doesn't happen with v1.1 or
> with other mailbox formats. Probably because I fixed some bugs where it
> was wrongly caching some state, but now it's not caching it long enough.

I guess you didn't have enough (any?) people testing mbox body search before
the v1.2 release.  Is everyone but me using maildir?  Makes me wish I had an
extra box so I could do dovecot devel version testing against mbox.

--
Stan