[Dovecot] Failed IMAP Login Attempts in Logs

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 18:09:07 EET 2010

I had a user telling me that they can't login to the Postfix email
server via Webmail (RoundCube) and I decided to see if I could locate
this issue in the logs and understand if the user was simply using a
wrong password credential and or something more serious. More than
likely the person is just using a wrong password but in search of this
on my logs, I don't understand why Dovecot doesn't log failed login
attempts. When I attempted to login with a wrong password, I show the
following in my logs:

[root at mail log]# cat /var/log/maillog | grep 'Jan  5' | grep -i
'dovecot' | grep -i 'carlos'
Jan  5 11:00:13 mail dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected: user=<carlos>,
method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:192.168.0.10, lip=::ffff:192.168.0.10

Is there a log level or something I am not searching for that will
allow me to see failed or invalid logins for Dovecot (IMAP)?

Thanks!