[Dovecot] 1.2.9 imap crash with backtrace

David Halik dhalik at jla.rutgers.edu
Thu Jan 21 18:53:56 EET 2010

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that I've been core dump free for about 24 hours. The
duplicate message issue is still there, so if you wanted that fix then I
guess the patch is not complete yet, otherwise it looks good.

The bad news is that I'm now convinced that another problem I've been
experiencing is real and not related to any of this since it's still
persists.

Randomly for a few releases now myself and my coworkers have been seeing
a weird bug where old mail marked as "read" suddenly becomes marked as
"new" again when going into a folder. Sometimes it's as bad as the
entire folder deciding it is all unread when in fact is was all read,
other times it's randomly a few pieces of mail that constantly revert to
unread status. I've watched this on my personal server as well as heard
complaints from our user population.

I don't believe this is an NFS issue because my personal account is a
standalone server with both a local index and maildir running 1.2.9.
Also, I'm only ever connected from one place at a time. Just this
morning when I got to work I logged in with Thunderbird and my "dovecot"
mailing list folder suddenly had 3,000 new messages in it, all of which
had been previous read. I marked the folder as read, then a little while
later I went into the older and they all reverted to new again. I've
also seen it where if I try deleting one of these messages marked as
new, it disappears for a second, then magically reappears in my folder
as new.

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing a single log message related to this. As
you can tell, I watch the logs like a hawk, yet nothing ever appears to
throw an error or any message whatsoever. All my test cases have been
with Thunderbird 3.0, I'm not sure if other clients are seeing this.

Any idea?

--
David Halik
dhalik at jla.rutgers.edu