[Dovecot] 1.2.9 imap crash with backtrace

mailing at securitylabs.it mailing at securitylabs.it
Thu Jan 21 19:00:50 EET 2010

On 21/01/2010 17:53, David Halik wrote:

> Good news and bad news.
>
> The good news is that I've been core dump free for about 24 hours. The
> duplicate message issue is still there, so if you wanted that fix then
> I guess the patch is not complete yet, otherwise it looks good.
>
> The bad news is that I'm now convinced that another problem I've been
> experiencing is real and not related to any of this since it's still
> persists.
>
> Randomly for a few releases now myself and my coworkers have been
> seeing a weird bug where old mail marked as "read" suddenly becomes
> marked as "new" again when going into a folder. Sometimes it's as bad
> as the entire folder deciding it is all unread when in fact is was all
> read, other times it's randomly a few pieces of mail that constantly
> revert to unread status. I've watched this on my personal server as
> well as heard complaints from our user population.
>
> I don't believe this is an NFS issue because my personal account is a
> standalone server with both a local index and maildir running 1.2.9.
> Also, I'm only ever connected from one place at a time. Just this
> morning when I got to work I logged in with Thunderbird and my
> "dovecot" mailing list folder suddenly had 3,000 new messages in it,
> all of which had been previous read. I marked the folder as read, then
> a little while later I went into the older and they all reverted to
> new again. I've also seen it where if I try deleting one of these
> messages marked as new, it disappears for a second, then magically
> reappears in my folder as new.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not seeing a single log message related to this. As
> you can tell, I watch the logs like a hawk, yet nothing ever appears
> to throw an error or any message whatsoever. All my test cases have
> been with Thunderbird 3.0, I'm not sure if other clients a
> re seeing this.

Hello, same problem here. I use Thunderbird 3.0.1. The strange thing is
that with the same version of TB on my PC at home I don't have this
issue. The same TB on my work PC has this issue and only on one account
(that has Dovecot as imap server) but I have other account (some with
dovecot, other with courier-imap) where this does not happen, so I think
is TB related.

Also here no NFS, ext3.