[Dovecot] system v. virtual mailboxes, was Re: Thunderbird problem

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Jul 1 13:32:30 EEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 06:14 -0400, Jerry wrote:

> I agree. If the system is constructed correctly it certainly does not
> need that sort of attention. There is software available that can
> monitor the system to a high degree of satisfaction. However, Noel, I
> firmly believe that there are OPs (SAs ?) that greatly exaggerate the
> degree of difficulty of their job. I guess we all like to feel we are
> indispensable.

I'm certain that's the case, anything setup correctly, you should be
able to walk away and almost forget about it, the only thing to do is
modify anti spam rules to catch variants of new spam, all of 1 mins
work, tops, the rest of the time is helping manage the rest of the
network :)

Mail Administration is not complicated, all too many people like to over
complicate their setups and only cause themselves work.

I've had more than one CEO in the past say to me that they like to see
key NOC staff doing nothing, because it says to them the network is
working perfectly.

All too many do not automate things or write scripts/cron tasks,
complicate their network and tinker, because as you said, they need to
feel indispensable, if only their managers had a clue.