[Dovecot] system v. virtual mailboxes, was Re: Thunderbird problem

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Thu Jul 1 13:14:02 EEST 2010

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:54:44 +1000
Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> articulated:

> On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 04:01 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>

> > Anyone who isn't looking at mail logs or log summaries daily and
> > taking action on any problems needing attention doesn't count as a
> > mail OP.
>
> That's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen todate.
> Do you seriously expect ISP admins that may have for instance, 16
> front end SMTP servers, each processing around 1.4 million connects a
> day, and accepting around 900K msgs each a day, are going to
> seriously sift through each servers logs every day?
>
> I don't think thats going to happen anytime soon

I agree. If the system is constructed correctly it certainly does not
need that sort of attention. There is software available that can
monitor the system to a high degree of satisfaction. However, Noel, I
firmly believe that there are OPs (SAs ?) that greatly exaggerate the
degree of difficulty of their job. I guess we all like to feel we are
indispensable.

I might add that I am a strong believer in virtual users. It is easier,
cleaner and removes potential security problems.

Just my 2¢.

--
Jerry ✌
Dovecot.user at seibercom.net