[Dovecot] system v. virtual mailboxes, was Re: Thunderbird problem

Sun Jul 4 20:57:48 EEST 2010

On 2010-07-03 11:09 PM, Frank Cusack wrote:
> On 7/2/10 6:52 PM -0400 Charles Marcus wrote:
>>  # postconf -n | grep delay_warning
>> delay_warning_time = 15m
>>  #
>> It works for everyone who enables it. What the user *does* with the
>> warning is their problem. I don't sympathize with idiots.

> Wow, you must hate your job then, if you are an SA.

Not at all... I love my job, but one has nothing to do with the other.
Indeed, if I *did* sympathize with idiots, *then* I'd probably be
miserable in my job...

> delay_warning_time is awful for a site of any size above "small".

I totally disagree - unless, of course, you have a lot of problems with
delayed mail, in which case I would say that the SA has a problem that
needs attention.

If nothing else, it is a good indicator of a clogged queue, which is an
indicator of, again, a problem that needs attention.

As far as I can determine, even for a fairly busy server, unless you are
a spammer/mass emailer, you should rarely if ever have any given email
in the queue for more than a few minutes... mine rarely stay there for
more than a second or two...

> You just get confused users / complainers.

I have had a grand total of about 3 complaints in the last 3 or so
years. Yes, this is a small company (about 50 users), and our volume of
email is probably just average, so as always ymmv...

--

Best regards,

Charles