[Dovecot] OT: Sieve + Forward as Attachment

Tue Jul 6 21:40:09 EEST 2010

On 2010-07-06 1:19 PM, Phil Howard wrote:
> I have seen mail clients migrate from true forwarding (but even so, it
> is a resubmitted message, so technically a new message), to creating a
> completely new message with the previous message as indented text,

This is called being forwarded 'inline'.

> and later as an attached document.

This is called forwarding 'as an attachment'.

> They may or may not carry over headers.

Inline forwarded message, depending on the client, will normally include
either the 'Normal' or 'Short' headers, or the 'Full Headers', whichever
is currently selected.

Outlook is a different beast (as usual)...

However, Messages forwarded as *attachments* *always* contain the full
headers, which is why this is the preferred way to forward messages for
forensic analysis.

> What you want to do is not a form of forwarding

Forwarding 'as an attachment', which is what the OP said he wanted, is
certainly a form of forwarding...

> and I doubt Sieve would even have the permissions to do it (well, if
> it can do forwarding then maybe it can inject new mail, which would
> make me worry).

Not as long as it is done properly, This is how 'Vacation' messages
using sieve works... although I am a total noob when it comes to sieve...

--

Best regards,

Charles