[Dovecot] OT: Sieve + Forward as Attachment

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 20:19:55 EEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 13:11, Jerry <dovecot.user at seibercom.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:55:04 -0400
> Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> articulated:
>
>> Maybe, but that's not how I read it... only the OP can clarify...
>
> I thought it was clear; however, I guess not.
>
> Now, I all ready know in advance that certain messages that I receive
> will need to be forwarded to other associates. The "forward as
> attachment" procedure is what I desire to accomplish. I believe this is
> covered in RFC-822 (RFC-822 MIME encoded attachment). Virtually every
> MUA that I have used has that as an option as well as normal 'forward'
> or 'redirect'.
>
> I hope that clarifies mu question.

I have seen mail clients migrate from true forwarding (but even so, it
is a resubmitted message, so technically a new message), to creating a
completely new message with the previous message as indented text, and
later as an attached document.  They may or may not carry over
headers.

What you want to do is not a form of forwarding and I doubt Sieve
would even have the permissions to do it (well, if it can do
forwarding then maybe it can inject new mail, which would make me
worry).  The best I can suggest based on what I understand of this, is
to use Sieve to isolate the messages to be acted on, place them in a
special folder for that purpose, and have another process come along
to pick them up and do the "foward with original as attachment" thing
(many ways to do that, from a cron script on the server to a fetchmail
script anywhere).