[Dovecot] dovecot director service

Brandon Davidson brandond at uoregon.edu
Fri Jul 9 13:03:09 EEST 2010

On 7/9/10 12:01 AM, "Xavier Pons" <xavier.pons at uib.es> wrote:

> I think this new funcionalities would be perfect (necessary ;-) ) for a
> complete load balanced/high availability mail system.

Timo, what you described sounds great.

Pretty much anything built into Dovecot would be an improvement over an
external script from my point of view. With a script I have to deal with all
kinds of questions like, which director do I have my script log in to? What
happens if it goes down? What happens if the monitoring host is down?

I'd probably end up trying to put the director port behind the load-balancer
and figuring out some way to get my script to talk Director protocol to
add/remove mail servers, and that would just be ugly ;)

>> Yeah. Any good naming ideas for the doveadm director command? :)
> something like doveadm director servers  ?!?!

I'm not sure either. Maybe 'doveadm director ring'?

I thought of suggesting that 'status' report the ring status, and the
current output go to something like 'mailhosts'. After a moment of
consideration, I realized that all the current director commands
(add,remove,status) act on the mailhost list, not the director list, and so
in that sense 'doveadm director' is really more like 'doveadm
director-mailhosts' to begin with.

-Brad