[Dovecot] dovecot director service

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jul 11 22:06:20 EEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 03:03 -0700, Brandon Davidson wrote:
> > I think this new funcionalities would be perfect (necessary ;-) ) for a
> > complete load balanced/high availability mail system.
>
> Timo, what you described sounds great.
>
> Pretty much anything built into Dovecot would be an improvement over an
> external script from my point of view.

Yeah, some day I guess..

> With a script I have to deal with all
> kinds of questions like, which director do I have my script log in to?

Any one of them.

> What happens if it goes down? What happens if the monitoring host is down?

Add redundancy :)

> I'd probably end up trying to put the director port behind the load-balancer
> and figuring out some way to get my script to talk Director protocol to
> add/remove mail servers, and that would just be ugly ;)

Well, you could make the doveadm interface available via TCP port, but
that really should be firewalled well. Hmm. It wouldn't be difficult to
patch doveadm director to also support connecting to host:port rather
than unix socket.

> >> Yeah. Any good naming ideas for the doveadm director command? :)
> > something like doveadm director servers  ?!?!
>
> I'm not sure either. Maybe 'doveadm director ring'?

That sounds pretty good to me.