[Dovecot] --with-PACKAGE is not recognized (dovecot 2.0.rc2)

Sven Kirmess sven.kirmess at kzone.ch
Sat Jul 10 21:04:41 EEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 17:17, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> I find it unlikely that the option for that is called --with-PACKAGE.. Name some software package where it does that?

Now I feel really stupid. You're right, I couldn't find a single
package where it really had and impact. The only difference is that
dovecot is the only tool I found which reports an unknown configure
option which is probably why I never noticed that...

Where dovecot behaves different then other tools is here:

When you specify --sysconfdir=C it puts its files under C/dovecot. I
would expect it to respect my setting and put them directly under C.

When you specify --prefix=P it puts its libraries under P/lib/dovecot
and programs under P/libexec/dovecot.

(A lot of tools put the include files under P/include/dovecot)

I compile all my software to use:
/etc/opt/dovecot
/opt/dovecot/bin
/opt/dovecot/lib
/opt/dovecot/libexec
/var/opt/dovecot

Which doesn't work with dovecot, as far as I can tell. Especially for
libexec. (--sysconfdir could be set to /etc/opt which would be
different then other tools but should work.)