[Dovecot] dovecot director service

Brandon Davidson brandond at uoregon.edu
Mon Jul 12 01:30:03 EEST 2010

Timo,

On 7/11/10 12:06 PM, "Timo Sirainen" <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>> Pretty much anything built into Dovecot would be an improvement over an
>> external script from my point of view.
>
> Yeah, some day I guess..

Well, I would definitely make use of it if you ever get around to coding it.

>> With a script I have to deal with all
>> kinds of questions like, which director do I have my script log in to?
>
> Any one of them.

Sure, but that adds additional complexity to the script (selecting a host,
retrying, etc)... or sticking the director/doveadm interface behind a load
balancer if possible.

>> What happens if it goes down? What happens if the monitoring host is down?
>
> Add redundancy :)

Sure, but it's easier for me if I don't have to worry about it ;)

> Well, you could make the doveadm interface available via TCP port, but
> that really should be firewalled well. Hmm. It wouldn't be difficult to
> patch doveadm director to also support connecting to host:port rather
> than unix socket.

That would be pretty awesome. Rignt now I could try to talk Director
protocol from the management node to inject commands, but the Directors only
accept connections from other hosts listed in the ring, right? So having
doveadm function over TCP would be a big plus.

-Brad