[Dovecot] Cyrus Virtual Domains: Domain migration from Cyrus

Thomas Leuxner tlx at leuxner.net
Tue Jul 27 12:28:09 EEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:12:54AM +0200, Denny Schierz wrote:
> /var/imap/domain.a/user/foo ..
> /var/imap/domain.b/user/foo ..
> /var/imap/domain.c/user/foo ..

You can utilize the same directory structure with Dovecot, dependent on
whether you want to go with 'Maildir' or something else. Other
considerations are using a static userdb vs. something driven by
passwd-files, LDAP or MySQL... Choice is yours.

Also individual overrides per user are possible.

> In a exported skiplist DB, it shows like:
>
> =================
>
> domain.a!user.foobar 0 int foobar at domain.a lrswipcda postmaster at domain.a
> domain.a!user.han 0 int han at domain.a lrswipcda
> domain.b!user.solo 0 int solo at domain.b lrswipcda
> domain.b!user.yoda 0 int yoda at domain.b lrswipcda
> domain.c!user.luke 0 int luke at domain.c lrswipcda postmaster at domain.c

ACLs are also possible.

> What is the best way, to use this layout under Dovecot?

http://wiki.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers

Depends on your authentication backend.

> ps. Cyrus gets this mails via LMTP over TCP from sendmail and Dovecot
> 1.x dont' have this service and I use postfix for smtp->
> smtp-local-lmtp-> Dovecot.

LMTP is available in Dovecot 2.x which is just around the corner and
among this brings other great enhancements.

Regards
Thomas