[Dovecot] Convert plugin

Egbert egbert at vandenbussche.nl
Fri Jul 30 17:41:07 EEST 2010

Op 30-7-2010 16:27, Timo Sirainen schreef:
> On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 12:36 +0200, Egbert wrote:
>
>> So things finally start to work. Only the rename of the /var/mail/<user>
>> directory doesn't work yet. Wrong owner. I made /var/mail owned by
>> vmail:vmail but that is not good. Maybe it should be owned by dovecot.
>> Who is the owner of the convert process?
>
> Convert plugin wants to rename the mail root directory. It won't work
> nicely unless you have something like
>
> /var/mail/<user>/mail/
>
> under which all the mailboxes are. Anyway, I'd suggest using
> http://dovecot.org/tools/mb2md.pl instead of convert plugin. That'll
> preserve stuff better.

Thanks Timo. I did play with mb2md.pl and it does the job. It is more an
operational problem, WE do the convert for a few hundred users (they
have no mbox in home because they dont have a homedir, just
/var/mail/<user>) OR the convert happens when the user logs in on the
new server. Both aproaches have they pro and con.

Egbert Jan