[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.1.x and 1.2.x differencies

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 22:22:08 EEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 07:43, Veiko Kukk <veiko.kukk at ekp.ee> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been using successfully Dovecot 1.1.x for about a year now. It has
> been very stable.
> Now I'm uprading that same system to newer and more powerful hardware and I
> was wondering whether it is good idea or not to switch to Dovecot 1.2.x
> series. Could anybody direct me to feature comparision document or explain
> here main differences betweeen thos two branches?

Where the option to upgrade to the latest version (not just a newer
version), it is almost always the best choice.  Advantages of the
latest version include not hearing those words "it is already fixed in
the latest version".

If you need to stay back at an older version, you should already know
why you need to do so.  In my case, I have done so because the first
round of servers were being quickly deployed based on Ubuntu 9.10,
which is known to not always be friendly to building things from
source for which it also has packages.  The next round will be more
slowly built, based on Slackware 13.1 (or so), and use the latest
versions of all major software in use, built from developer released
source.