[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.1.x and 1.2.x differencies

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Wed Jun 16 08:15:06 EEST 2010

Charles Marcus put forth on 6/15/2010 12:44 PM:

> Waiting almost always keeps me from any major bugs from new packages
> (one exception was a minor update to mailman that changed directory
> locations), and still lets me stay up to date with the latest stable
> releases.

I waited "forever" to get hold of 1.2.10 in the form of the backport for
Debian Lenny, which was the first 1.2.x backport available IIRC (I hate
installing apps from source for many reasons).  Once I installed it I almost
immediately found problems with performance.  I reported the symptoms here,
and within a day or two Timo identified the cause relating to mbox processing
and fixed it.  It took a couple/three weeks IIRC before the 1.2.11 backport
with this fix was available.  I installed it and it fixed my problems instantly.

So, waiting a few days isn't always going to cut the mustard.  Sometimes
obscure problems may not surface for weeks or months.  It seems I found this
particular problem where others did not because my Dovecot server runs on
really old "slow" CPUs.  Others' have such stout CPUs that they just didn't
notice the mbox processing slowdown.

I agree with Charles' logic in most cases, but as shown above, not all cases.
 In this case, my issue was laggy performance, not broken functionality.  One
can usually limp along with laggy performance for a while until a fix is
available.  Broken functionality issues are identified and fixed rather
quickly as they usually hit multiple OPs simultaneously.

--
Stan