[Dovecot] Expire plugin

Thomas M Goerger tmg at umn.edu
Wed May 5 18:28:35 EEST 2010

Hi,

We've resolved the issues that started this thread off.  We needed to
recompile our version of Dovecot (1.1.6) with the inclusion of the mySQL
libraries.  With this done, we were able to connect Dovecot to the mySQL
db, and got the expire plugin to save times to the db.  This works great,
and we're very excited to get this to work.

We're now trying to actually expunge the messages, using the expire tool,
and are running into some questions that we need answered.  I saw the
notice about the expire tool and mail_location that use %u in the path.
This is the mail_location that we're using in our configuration:

mail_location = mbox:~:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/mail/.dovecot-index/%1u/%u/

The documentation refers to pulling values from the userdb to set a HOME
or MAIL variable so that dovecot can see the proper location with the
1.1.x series.  What userdb is this referring to?  We haven't used a
userdb with any of our implementations of dovecot to this point, and
setting one up at this point really isn't an option.  The documentation
seems to indicate that you can use a passwd file to set these variables,
but that to do so means manipulating each user's entry, which again,
really isn't an option.

Is there anyone that is getting around this somehow?  Seems pretty common
to use %u within the mail_location, so I'm wondering how people have dealt
with this.  Is there any other way to get around this problem?  We were
looking at the expire tool source to see if we could manipulate how the
user is being passed there.  This would be an option we would pursue, if
we could know what changes would need to be made.  Seems like the expire
tool utilizes much of the dovecot code itself to do its job.

Thanks!

* Tom Goerger  -  Email/Unix System Administrator 			*
* University of Minnesota		       Email:  tmg at umn.edu	*
* Operations, Infrastructure and Architecture  Phone:  4-5804		*
* Internet Services			       Office: 626J WBOB	*