[Dovecot] wrong config file?

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Fri May 7 19:34:11 EEST 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:43, Dennis Guhl <dg at dguhl.org> wrote:

> Ubuntu is using dovecot-postfix.conf as the working config file if you
> install the package 'dovecot-postfix' from the Ubuntu server team. But
> if you install the seperate packages 'dovecot-[common|imapd|pop3d]'
> dovecot.conf will be used.

This is what I have installed:

marconi/root/x0 /root 96# dpkg -l | egrep 'dovecot|postfix'
ii  dovecot-antispam                  1.1+20090218.git.g28075fa-2       a
Dovecot plugin that helps train spam filte
ii  dovecot-common                    1:1.1.11-0ubuntu11
secure mail server that supports mbox and ma
ii  dovecot-dev                       1:1.1.11-0ubuntu11
header files for the dovecot mail server
ii  dovecot-imapd                     1:1.1.11-0ubuntu11
secure IMAP server that supports mbox and ma
ii  dovecot-pop3d                     1:1.1.11-0ubuntu11
secure POP3 server that supports mbox and ma
ii  dovecot-postfix                   1:1.1.11-0ubuntu11                full
mail server stack provided by Ubuntu se
ii  postfix                           2.6.5-3
High-performance mail transport agent
ii  postfix-cdb                       2.6.5-3                           CDB
map support for Postfix
ii  postfix-doc                       2.6.5-3
Documentation for Postfix
ii  postfix-pcre                      2.6.5-3                           PCRE
map support for Postfix
ii  postfix-pgsql                     2.6.5-3
PostgreSQL map support for Postfix
marconi/root/x0 /root 97#

So, dovecot-postfix is intended as an alternative for all the others?

> And it might be, that your master.cf does not call dovecot deliver
> with '-c /etc/dovecot/dovecot-postfix.conf' as part of argv=.

Thanks, I'll have to check that, too.  I did not know it also needed to be
in master.cf.  I have a reference in main.cf but it doesn't have args.

smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = private/dovecot-auth
mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver