[Dovecot] wrong config file?

Dennis Guhl dg at dguhl.org
Sat May 8 00:45:17 EEST 2010

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 12:34:11PM -0400, Phil Howard wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:43, Dennis Guhl <dg at dguhl.org> wrote:
>
> > Ubuntu is using dovecot-postfix.conf as the working config file if you
> > install the package 'dovecot-postfix' from the Ubuntu server team. But
> > if you install the seperate packages 'dovecot-[common|imapd|pop3d]'
> > dovecot.conf will be used.
> >

> This is what I have installed:

[..]

> So, dovecot-postfix is intended as an alternative for all the others?

I don't use Ubuntu, but Debian. I think dovecot-postfix might be a
pseudo-package to omit installing all single packages but one which
'contains' everything.

> > And it might be, that your master.cf does not call dovecot deliver
> > with '-c /etc/dovecot/dovecot-postfix.conf' as part of argv=.
> >

> Thanks, I'll have to check that, too.  I did not know it also needed to be
> in master.cf.  I have a reference in main.cf but it doesn't have args.
>
> smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
> smtpd_sasl_path = private/dovecot-auth
> mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver

You can also give the full command here instead a transport name
defined in the master.cf. And you append all parameters directly
behind the command.

Also have a look here:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#mailbox_command

Dennis