[Dovecot] question about rpc quota reporting 1.2.11

Tom Lieuallen toml at engr.orst.edu
Thu May 27 19:10:50 EEST 2010

Timo, thank you for the reply to my question about shared folders yesterday.

I'm now trying to get quota reporting working consistently.  This is
with dovecot 1.2.11 in solaris 10 sparc.  We have local quotas for the
mail spool (/a1) and quotas for home directories.  All are UFS and have
rpc (rquota) working fine.

With just this:

protocol imap {
   mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
}

My mail client (thunderbird 3.0.4) reported the home directory quota.

So then I added this:

plugin {
   quota = fs:INBOX:mount=/a1
   quota2 = fs:Home:mount=%h
}

First, I had to make /a1/quotas world readable, otherwise I'd get this
error:

   open(/a1/quotas) failed: Permission denied

I'm getting the same type of error with the quota2 line now:
   open(/nfs/rack/u4/quotas) failed: Permission denied

Since the home directory quota worked without the plugin configuration,
my guess is that the plugin config is not using rpc.  I can't find any
way to force it to use rpc.  Again, if I make that 'quotas' file world
readable (which I believe isn't good practice), dovecot stops complaining.

Also, what should I expect to see on the client?  Will dovecot report
only one quota (the one that's closer to the limit), or will it report
both?  I've only seen the first quota in thunderbird, but that could
easily be a client issue.

thank you

Tom Lieuallen
Oregon State University