[Dovecot] recipient_delimiter

Fri May 28 21:03:15 EEST 2010

On 2010-05-28 11:25 AM, Phil Howard wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 09:55, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> On 2010-05-27 1:42 PM, Phil Howard wrote:
>>> Yup, there was a 2nd setting nearly at the bottom of the file, and
>>> it was different. Thanks for catching that.

>> This is why you *always* go by what output pof postconf -n says,
>> not what you think you put in main.cf.
>>
>> You wasted a lot of time (yours and others here) on that
>> unnecessarily...

> My main.cf file has the comments (my own that explains why settings
> are there, not the default comments). It is the easier to read file.

Yes, but you are missing the point - the output of postconf -n shows
*exactly* what postfix is *using*, *not* what you *think* it is using
because you *misread* (ie, missed the last recipient_delimiter entry
that was different from the one you were changing).

It can also demonstrate that you aren't using the main.cf (or
dovecot.conf) file that you thought you were using due to running
something chroot'd when you didn't realize it, or packaging errors by
your package maintainer, etc, etc, etc...

> Even then, I was also reading the postconf -n output and just didn't
> see the subtle difference (I was thinking more along the lines of
> "what else is needed").

Right - you weren't using the output as intended.

--

Best regards,

Charles