[Dovecot] maildir-dbox hybrid

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 19 21:11:20 EEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 21:56 +0300, Luben Karavelov wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 22:23:29 +0100, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> > On 17.10.2010, at 17.52, Roland Stuehmer wrote:
> >
> >> How can I convert old mailboxes in "maildir-dbox hybrid" to a current dbox?
> >
> > Does this help? http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-September/053012.html
>
> If I understand it correctly, dbox/maildir hybrid is when there are
> some messages
> stored as maildir msgs and some messages in dbox format, isn't it?

Right.

> The conversion, as described in the suggested post seems like a lot of
> trouble.

Yeah.

> So, I have some questions:
>
> In the first scenario, if I redeliver maildir-format messages, does the
> users that
> use POP3 and store their mail on the server will re-download all
> redelivered
> messages? (if it does matter, my pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv).

Yes, pop3 users will redownload mails.

> The other option - convert the dbox-es back to maildir, move the old
> maildir
> messages in the new maildir, manually add them to the new uid-list and
> finally
> convert the new maildir to sdbox - seems quite fragile.

Yeah. Not very nice either. Here's a 3rd option: Apply the attached
patch to v1.2 and then open all users' all mailboxes (write a script or
something). It should convert all maildir files to dbox files. Try with
one account first to make sure it works. :)