[Dovecot] My "%%" variables in the namespace settings do not appear to be expanding.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Sep 1 20:24:24 EEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 11:33 +0100, Kenneth Cope wrote:
>     I can not get the %% variable expansion in a namespace to work.
>     What I end up with, on an IMAP connection is a directory named, for
>     instance, '%h'.  The same goes for any of the %% variables used at
>     this point.  My current set-up is 'not' the same as the current
>     setup and I'm using virtual users that are not 'live' on the
>     current system.

Set mail_debug=yes. What does it log when 1) logging in and 2) when it
creates the %% directory (or is that also on login)?

> namespace {
>   list = children
>   location = maildir:%%h:LAYOUT=maildir++:INDEX=~/shared.%Dn_%Dd
>   prefix = shared/%n@%d.

prefix = shared.%u.

Although this won't work well because your username most likely has '.'
characters. The only good solution would be to change all separators to
'/', but that can then cause problems with existing clients that use
your system (possibly requiring some kind of client cache refresh /
account recreation).