[Dovecot] nfs director

Edward avanti edward.avanti at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 03:23:56 EEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 09:18 +0200, Cor Bosman wrote:
>

> imap access is not common in this country, it is in fact extremely rare,
> common only for webmail servers.

Much of Asia also no use imap as primary mail for customer

> > All these 3 sessions want to update the index files. (im current not
> including
>

> not an issue as I previously stated (twice I believe) as we do not
> permit multi session logins
>

> > dovecot LDA, which also wants to update the index files). Because of
> issues
>
> funny how postfix doesnt have this issue, qmail doesnt have this issue
> nor does exim (never ran sendmail in this config only a crazy person
> would use mbox over NFS)
>

> > Now there is a workaround. NFS locking can be made to work better if all
> > processes trying to access the NFS indexes are on the same machine. So
>

> there certainly is a workaround, its called, in our case, use postfix's
> deliver, which under my instruction has already happened on half the
> servers since it is clear this issue will not ever be solved in dovecot.

This easy yes, since with Qmail, we have Maildir  SQL column in mailtable,
simple to have postfix select Maildir same as old Qmail, we change very
little to use this configuration which is why we use.

> > What the dovecot director is doing is ensuring that sessions from the
> same
> > user all get directed to the same imap server, so NFS locking works
> safely.
> >

> yes, this has been mentioned some 40 times already, you know, i do
> actually know this, however that will NOT solve the problem as outlined
> earlier, the director by Timos admission will NOT load balance users in
> its current state, nor will it load balance inbound connections.
>

> > I wish my foundry could do this, so I wouldnt need the director, but
> alas,
> > it cant. If you operate a situation like im describing above, you WILL
> need
> > the director, or accept that your users may run into problems reading
> their
> > mail.
> >

> well they aint needed it since 2003, nothings died, broken, crashed,
> caused hurricanes, droughts, whatever, so, cant see why all of a sudden
> they will now.

We use Dovecot only recent, but many I speak  use for very many year, if
director was really need, why it only come about now and not 5 or more year
ago, all many mail network run broken for so many year? I no think so.
It might compliment some situation, but not suitable or advantage for all.
Imap not likely happen here for user, hardware  no so cheap here,such is
storage space not big deal, not until we buy hardware for near cheap as
U.S., which 50-70% less than we pay.