[Dovecot] \" character in folder name results in strange LIST

Samuel Kvasnica bugreports at list.ims.co.at
Fri Sep 3 23:48:34 EEST 2010

 On 08/19/2010 01:43 PM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 12:48 +0200, Samuel Kvasnica wrote:
>> This is a very nasty mess. If there are some ancient clients like pine
>> or whatever we used on vt100 in the 90th that need broken LIST command,
>> there should be a workaround setting for that.
> Hey! I still use pine. With mouse-in-xterm mode enabled it works really
> nicely on devices with a touch screen, and it makes excellent use of
> small screens and limited network bandwidth.

Sorry, did not want to start flame-war on pine... I've been using it
myself for about 10 years (on POP3).
But, nowadays there is no practical use: for local indoor use it is not
acceptable
due to its attachment handling, missing business/workgroup features like
calendar etc. For the outdoor mobile
use it is also a problem: most cell phones simply haven't got any ssh
terminal but have own IMAP clients.

My message was rather: is it good to stick with broken implementation of
server as a default just to support
some ancient clients or should we change the default behavior to be
consistent and use workaround to support
ancient clients ?