[Dovecot] Converting layouts, was Re: LAYOUT=maildir++ under mbox?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 6 20:08:55 EEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 12:37 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    This is only tangentially related, please forgive me for that, but is
> there any automated way to convert an existing hierarchy of
> '.'-separated folders to a LAYOUT=fs configuration?

dsync can do it, although not very optimally (copies all mails rather
than just renaming the mailboxes). Anyway works basically the same as
any other conversion, e.g.:

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

dsync mirror maildir:~/Maildir-fs:LAYOUT=fs

Of course the last problem is that any existing clients will probably
need to recreate their accounts or the clients become confused.