[Dovecot] Unsubscribing from public folders

aditsu aditsu at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 22:42:23 EEST 2010

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> I can't remember fixing anything related to this, but you should upgrade
> to v1.2.14 anyway.

I'll try it later if I can't find another solution. 1.2.11 is the latest
version marked "stable" in my distro.

> A full dovecot -n output would have been better. Most importantly: what
> plugins do you have loaded?

Here's dovecot -n, with a little anonymization:

# 1.2.11: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.34-gentoo-r6 x86_64 Gentoo Base System release 1.12.13
protocols: imap imaps managesieve
ssl_cert_file: /etc/ssl/dovecot/cert.crt
ssl_key_file: /etc/ssl/dovecot/privkey.pem
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(managesieve): /usr/libexec/dovecot/managesieve-login
mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(managesieve): /usr/libexec/dovecot/managesieve
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(managesieve): /usr/lib64/dovecot/managesieve
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  inbox: yes
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
namespace:
  type: public
  separator: /
  prefix: Public/
  location: maildir:/home/vmail/public
  list: yes
namespace:
  type: public
  separator: /
  prefix: Public-NLHCA/
  location: maildir:/home/vmail/(some path)
  list: yes
namespace:
  type: public
  separator: /
  prefix: Public-NIB/
  location: maildir:/home/vmail/(some other path)
  list: yes
lda:
  postmaster_address: postmaster
  mail_plugins: sieve
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain cram-md5
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  socket:
    type: listen
    master:
      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode: 384
      user: vmail

>> In the meantime I checked and found a "subscriptions" file in my maildir,
>> then went and edited it by hand (and removed the folder I wanted).
>
> What did the entry look like in the file?
>
>>  That
>> seemed to work, and afterwards I can subscribe/unsubscribe to that
>> particular folder, but still not to any other public folders.
>
> When you re-subscribe does the entry look different in the file?

Good questions. Now I notice that it was added at the end (after
resubscribing) as "Public-NIB/archive.older", but there's no other "/"
appearing in the file!
Other folders look like "Public-NIB.archive.2010a" or "INBOX.office" etc. I
assume that folder originally had a "." instead of the "/" too.

If you want to know more history, I first used courier-imap, and later
converted to dovecot 1.1, and even later to 1.2. I guess dovecot 1.1 was
more lenient?
Anyway, please let me know the best way to fix the
configuration/subscriptions.

Thanks
Adrian