[Dovecot] coredump in dovecot 2.0.11

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Fri Apr 15 11:50:27 EEST 2011

On Friday, April 15, 2011 08:31:20 Michal Hlavinka wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 12, 2011 21:27:11 k b wrote:
> > Will check as soon as there is a package for fedora 14.
> >
> Usually there is updated dovecot package in updates-testing
> repository next working day after release, but it seems I've built
> new package, but forgot to push it to repository.
>
> I've pushed it to updates-testing repository just a few minutes ago.
> It should be available within 24 hours, then you can update dovecot
> using (as root):
>
> yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing dovecot
>
> I don't know what's the problem with abrt, I'll ask its maintainers
>
> PS:for getting backtrace from gdb, you need core file (the one abrt deletes),
> but that backtrace would be useless, you need to install debuginfo symbols first, using (as root):
>
> debuginfo-install dovecot

I've just asked abrt maintainer.

> Corrupted or bad crash /var/spool/abrt/ccpp-1302628582-11711 (res:1), deleting

This message is misleading, because "res:1" means duplicate, so it's not bad nor corrupted
crash, but coredump should be already stored in different directory.

How can you find it? Try:

grep -r dovecot /var/spool/abrt/*/component

it'll tell you what directory contains dovecot's crash. For example:

/var/spool/abrt/ccpp-1302856889-1869/compoment:dovecot

so core file would be: /var/spool/abrt/ccpp-1302856889-1869/coredump

Before gdb,you need to install debug info symbols:

debuginfo-install dovecot

and then, you can use:

gdb /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap /var/spool/abrt/ccpp-1302856889-1869/coredump
bt full