[Dovecot] calling dovecot exported auth from Java

WJCarpenter bill-dovecot at carpenter.org
Sat Apr 16 03:36:32 EEST 2011

As far as I have been able to figure out, dovecot auth always works over
a Unix domain socket.  I believe it is not currently possible to operate
dovecot auth over an Internet domain (TCP) socket.  Am I correct?

I want to call dovecot's exported authentication from a Java
application.  Java doesn't natively know how to talk to a Unix domain
socket, so there are inconveniences.  There are 3rd party JNI libraries
to allow Java to do it, but I'm not too wild about the idea of using
JNI.  My current thinking is to rig up some kind of proxy/shuttle
arrangement between a localhost TCP port and the dovecot auth Unix
domain socket in the filesystem.  I'm looking at using the more or less
standard tool "socat" to do that.  ('m on a mainstream Linux distribution.)

Has anyone else confronted and solved this problem?  Do tell us the
details .... :-)

TIA!