[Dovecot] Two recent issues

Brad Schuetz brad at omnis.com
Wed Dec 14 03:41:54 EET 2011

On 12/09/2011 09:58 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> If auth process dies unexpectedly, master always logs an error, such as:
>
> Dec 10 07:15:34 auth: Fatal: master: service(auth): child 27895 killed with signal 11 (core dumped)
>
> Anyway, "read(imap) failed: Connection reset by peer" can happen if you
> reach the service imap { process_limit }. But then there should be a
> warning logged about it also:
>
> Dec 10 07:17:39 master: Warning: service(imap): process_limit reached, client connections are being dropped
>
> So, that error message alone shouldn't be happening..

Interesting, the log entries I provided were the only ones that did exist.

> If that happens, there would also be an error message logged about it.
> One thing that v2.0 doesn't log about is if auth socket gets
> disconnected, but that would result in different problems. v2.1 logs
> about that too.

The problem has vanished in the last couple of days.  When 2.1 comes out
I will upgrade and if the problem returns I'll see if it's logs have any
further information.

>> The second issue is lmtp/lda (tried both) delivery to a mailbox that has
>> filesystem quotas enabled and the group quota is maxed is resulting in
>> the below panic and crash.
>>
>> 11:21:07 [err] dovecot: lmtp(29691, admin@[redacted].com): Error:
>> o_stream_send_istream(/email/d/r/[redacted]/[redacted]/admin/Maildir/tmp/1323458467.M245978P29691.fenrir.omnis.com)
>> failed: Disk quota exceeded
>> 11:21:07 [crit] dovecot: lmtp(29691, admin@[redacted].com): Panic: file
>> ostream-zlib.c: line 144 (o_stream_zlib_send_flush): assertion failed:
>> (zs->avail_in == 0)
>
> I couldn't reproduce this with my tests, but
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/75daa638281b should fix it.

This patch has corrected the issue I was seeing.  Thank you very much.