[Dovecot] Major bug with hardlinks and lmtp

Brad Schuetz brad at omnis.com
Sat Dec 10 02:12:30 EET 2011

In working on trying to fix the crash issue from my last email I had
enabled LMTP delivery to try it out instead of using the LDA.

I have discovered that when a single piece of email is to be delivered
to multiple users the message is being hard linked instead of copied
into each mail box.  This is a major problem that makes LMTP unusable in
an environment where each mailbox has it's own UID since the hard linked
file will only be readable by one of the users.

I assume this is related to "maildir_copy_with_hardlinks=yes", however
this setting doesn't say anything about hardlinking across different
email accounts.

--
Brad Schuetz