[Dovecot] Corrupted index cache file and high CPU usage

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Dec 24 12:46:58 EET 2011

On 12/23/2011 11:08 AM, hydra wrote:
> Selinux wasn't running.
>
> I can reproduce the problem with this setup:
>
> - restore the maildir with the broken index.cache
> - run `/usr/bin/doveadm -D expunge -A mailbox Trash savedbefore 1w` in an
> infinite loop
> - use horde webmail to access the mail with IMAP
> - randomly display messages
>
> I could reproduce the problem on:
> Linux-2.6.37-hardened-r7
> Linux-2.6.39-hardened-r8
> Linux-3.0.4-hardened-r5
> Linux-3.0.6-gentoo
> Linux-3.1.4-gentoo
>
> However I failed to reproduce the problem on:
> Linux-2.6.36-hardened-r9
>
> So it seems it was introduced in 2.6.37. I'm going to inspect it later on.
> By wishing you a God blessed merry Christmas I thank you for the support ;)

Aha, cool.  Glad you're making some progress, and that you now know it's
kernel related in some way, just as Timo suspected.  Keep in mind it may
not necessarily be a code change problem in 2.6.37 onward.  Could be a
compiler/linker issue.  It could also be the default EXT4 journal
behavior changed (I haven't checked), or something similar.

Merry Christmas to you as well hydra.  I don't really deserve much
credit for support here.  I've just nudged you in the direction you
already knew you should be heading. :)

Best regards,

--
Stan