[Dovecot] doveadm + dsync merging

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Thu Dec 29 14:53:27 EET 2011

* Timo Sirainen <dovecot at dovecot.org>:
> doveadm already supports some nice things, such as being able to remotely launch a doveadm command via TCP socket. It also supports executing a command for all users or to some specific users using a wildcard. dsync could use these features, so I merged dsync and doveadm into same binary for v2.1.
>
> I'll still install "dsync" symlink pointing to "doveadm", and running that way it should be fully backwards compatible with the old dsync binary and its parameters.
>
> I'm mainly now wondering about the command naming for running dsync via doveadm. Any suggestions?
>
> a) Use "doveadm dsync" prefix, and otherwise keep the names same:
>
> dsync mirror -> doveadm dsync mirror
> dsync backup -> doveadm dsync backup
> dsync server -> doveadm dsync server (for running dsync remotely via ssh/etc.)
>
> b) Don't have the dsync prefix:
>
> dsync mirror -> doveadm mirror
> dsync backup -> doveadm backup
> dsync server -> doveadm dsync-server (could be hidden from the doveadm commands list)

Calling the old "dsync" command (symlink) directly should keep the already
established command structure.

Calling dsync features over doveadm should keep command structure as simple
(not complex) as possible. I favour b) for that and rename 'mirror' to 'sync'.

'sync' keeps in line with products such as rsync. People will immediately know
what it does.

p at rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666