[Dovecot] doveadm + dsync merging

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Dec 29 14:35:15 EET 2011

doveadm already supports some nice things, such as being able to remotely launch a doveadm command via TCP socket. It also supports executing a command for all users or to some specific users using a wildcard. dsync could use these features, so I merged dsync and doveadm into same binary for v2.1.

I'll still install "dsync" symlink pointing to "doveadm", and running that way it should be fully backwards compatible with the old dsync binary and its parameters.

I'm mainly now wondering about the command naming for running dsync via doveadm. Any suggestions?

a) Use "doveadm dsync" prefix, and otherwise keep the names same:

dsync mirror -> doveadm dsync mirror
dsync backup -> doveadm dsync backup
dsync server -> doveadm dsync server (for running dsync remotely via ssh/etc.)

b) Don't have the dsync prefix:

dsync mirror -> doveadm mirror
dsync backup -> doveadm backup
dsync server -> doveadm dsync-server (could be hidden from the doveadm commands list)

c) Either a) or b), but rename "mirror" to "sync" or "dsync" or "replicate"?

d) Something else?